• Restoring the "traditional" Meaning of Home and End Keys on OS X Mountain Lion

    The Home and End keys on Mac OS X work quite a bit different then one would expect coming from other operating systems. Instead of the familiar beginning of line and end of line behaviour Apple decided that it should put the courser at the beginning or the end of the document. I find this highly annoying to say the least. Fortunately it is easy enough to fix this.

  • BeagleBone GPIO

    Today I experimented with GPIO on the BeagleBone. After placing the BeagleBone inside a Lock & Lock container with a breadboard I wired up 4 LED. Each LED is driven by a transistor which in turn is driven by a GPIO pin. I used the Debian "Wheezy" install to conduct this experiment with.
  • Debian "Wheezy" On The BeagleBone

    In my previous post about the BeagleBone I described how I installed Debian “Squeeze”. I had tried Debian “Wheezy” but it failed. Today I retried the install of Debian “Wheezy” with the difference being of using a 4GB micro SD card. Installing a different Debian release is very simple, just replace the mk_mmc.sh command with this instead:

        ./mk_mmc.sh --mmc /dev/sdb --uboot bone --distro wheezy-armhf

    Since this is a netinstall procedure, it is important that the host system is prepared to provide ethernet connectivity via USB, or that an ethernet cable is connected to the BeagleBone.

  • BeagleBone First Impressions

    I finally ventured into the world of embedded ARM and Linux on ARM. Having done a good share of embedded Intel i386 projects I am no stranger to embedded Linux. But it is my first adventure into the world of non-Intel Linux. I've looked at the Raspberry Pi but settled on BeagleBone instead.
  • The New Repeater Controller

    I mostly completed the biggest overhaul of the VA3SLT repeater and IRLP Node 2590 to date.
  • AppleScript Wrapper for rsync

    I like rsync… a lot. It is the perfect tool to keep large amounts of data synchronized across volumes. This especially true if the vast bulk of the data does not change. Until now I have been using a shell script to do the various rsync tasks I required. However, since I just braved the upgrade to Mountain Lion, leaving the beloved Snow Leopard in the dust, I decided to play with some AppleScript.